Last night's Sunset Tiki 10K was only my third race of the year. None of the races I intended to do were meant to be! The course was short (5.5 miles rather than 6.2), yet this was still my longest distance since my IT band flared up again in late March.
I went in with low expectations for myself. On this weekend last year, I set my 10K PR. This year, thanks to resting and killer allergies, I was happy just to be able to run. Uncharacteristically, I went into it with no time goal, but I knew it would be a slower than normal performance. I was pleasantly surprised that despite not running for two weeks and being congested, I ran only about a minute per mile slower than my best 10K pace. Throughout the race, I felt good mentally and physically. I had the realization that running is just part of my lifestyle now. It may not be about improving pace or distance for me right now, but I am better in some way every time I get out and run.
I placed third in my age group. My new age group! 40-44. No medals, but I did win a pineapple! Perfect since I'm starting the whole 30 again tomorrow!

No comments:
Post a Comment