Thursday, June 12, 2014

Recaps for my first two races of 2014

By this time in 2013, I had completed umpteen races.  This year?  Only 3 so far, with another 5K in just a few days.  Races feel a little different now that I have this "new attitude".  It isn't easy to shake that competitive spirit on race day.  I always aim to do my best, but I know I've lost speed during all this time on the injured list.  So, I made a deal with myself that I would run these races at a comfortable pace and just not worry about being slower.  I told myself that I will keep my eyes on the prize-- an injury free, happy Chicago Marathon.  For that reason, I've been much more selective of my races this year.  

My first race for 2014 took place on April 19 at Purdue University Calumet- "Spring Fling Ramp Run 5K".  So, yes, "only" a 5K... that included running up and down a 4-story parking garage.  I wasn't sure what pace to anticipate for myself.  I had been running very rarely, and at a very casual pace.  I was very out of "race mode".  Thankfully, my body felt good, but my breathing was way off from running a race pace.  Somewhere in the first mile, a man in the 50-54 age group ran next to me and we kept pace together for most of the race.  He ended up coming in about a minute before me.  He came up to me after the race and asked, "What happened? You just slowed down at the end!" What happened?  I just couldn't maintain the pace!  A 5-month racing hiatus will do that to ya!  

Even so, I finished feeling good and with a time I was happy with.  27:02, 8:45 minute mile pace. 3rd place in my age group.

Running along the parkway in mile 1 of my first race of the year
Race #2 for 2014 was one of my absolute favorite races last year- the Gallery Gallop.  It is a beautiful and challenging course right along Lake Michigan and the Indiana Dunes at Miller Beach.  Not only is it a great race, but it also falls on my birthday weekend!  My first race as a 40 year old! 

Again, I wasn't sure what to expect with my pace.  I just knew I would be slower than last year. This one is an odd distance, 8.5K, and much of that is on sand and sandy inclines.  I felt like my heart was beating right out of my chest like a cartoon character.  This year, I walked up many of the dunes.  I felt good, though.  No pain in my hip or knee.  My breathing was a little ragged through the hilly parts, but I did better with that here than the Spring Fling.  

I did better than I anticipated.  I was slower than last year, but by a much smaller margin than I expected.  54:26 (10:26 minute mile pace) this year, versus 51:51 last year.  A 4th place finish in my age group, with about 5 minutes difference between me and 3rd place.  



The best part of this race was the after-party.  We packed an extremely small pizza place to celebrate my birthday after we hung out on the beach for a bit.  I love my running friends, and it was great to see so many of them.  I felt like there were two celebrations going on- my birthday AND my return to races.  Even with a new attitude, it was nice to get back to the familiar!  

No comments:

Post a Comment