Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Picking Up Speed

Spring half marathon training has begun.  You can see my first week activities under the "Training" tab.

Besides making it to the race pain-free, one of my goals is to complete my speed work during training.  Last year, I did 5 half marathons.  If I skimped on any of the training, it was the speed work.  I feel like it is the necessary evil in running, and I tend to stay away from evil!

I did take a speed work class last spring and I saw improvements in my pace.  I learned a lot about pacing and using my Garmin as a tool to reach my goal in a race.  I still don't feel very confident on how to do speed work.  I ask "experts" for lots of advice on this.  Maybe I am overthinking it and just need to do it!  Me? Overthink? No way!

Anyway, I did my week one speed work, and on the treadmill, no less! Yay!  Here's what I did for the first week.  The plan called for five 400 meters at 5K goal pace.


I typically despise the treadmill, but I have to admit that I liked it for this kind of workout. 

Here's what I did:
Warm-up 1 mile @ 6 mph pace
Alternate 400 m @ 5K goal pace (7.3 mph) and @ 6.3 mph
Cool down 1/2 mile @ 6 mph 

Total= 4 miles (9:18 minute mile average)

For week 2 of the plan, the speed work calls for a 30-minute tempo run. 

I am finally starting to learn that sometimes life doesn't go according to plan! 

I came home from a pretty stressful day yesterday. You know those days? When going out for a run is the only thing that will stop you from punching someone in the face? Yep- that kind of day! 

I decided to go around the block to my usual running trail. I haven't run it in awhile because it has been covered in snow. The biggest (and maybe only) smile of my day spread across my face when I saw pavement at the head of the path. Yes! I was going to run off my bad day! 

Smiling and squinting from the sun shining in my eyes (Sunshine? Really? When was the last time I saw sunshine?), I felt better already! Then, arms pumping, feet landing squarely on the ground, I reached the top of the incline, and ... Wah wah wah...
I guess the plow driver's shift ended? He stopped abruptly at the top of the hill and left that knee-high pile of snow. Beyond that, it was the same deep, uncleared trail I have been avoiding. 

Time for Plan B! Hill repeats! Mind you, I  have never done hill repeats in my life, but when life gives you lemons (and you've read about it in the latest issue of Runner's World)...

I had a tenth of a mile incline with relatively no snow, so I thought that would be better than running on the cleared streets during rush hour. 

I decided that I would do 10 repeats, but I lost count and ended up with 11. I did my downhills at an easy jog.  I ran the majority of the uphills at a comfortable pace, but I pushed myself on the last three. 

I ran back home at a comfortable pace. Then I did my 4 stretches- hand walkouts, Spider-Man lunges, side lunges, and wall squats. I finished up with some foam rolling. 

The total run was 2.5 miles at a 10:53 pace. 


I'm 2 for 2 so far on getting my speed work in for this training season. Yay! 


No comments:

Post a Comment