Sunday, January 19, 2014

Whole 30... I'm halfway there today (again)!




Round two of the Whole 30 for me and today is day 16.  Normally I am a planner and a researcher, but when a couple friends told me about the program, I jumped in head first.  So, I'm certainly no expert on clean eating or the science behind it.  However, I do know that it is working for me!

I'm not much of a cook.  Never have been.  For a long time, I regularly got dinner at the drive-thru.  I gave that up about a year ago, but still ate at restaurants more than home.  Doing this program is helping me achieve my resolution to cook more.  Here are a couple things I have made.  Nothing gourmet or original, but delicious! I found these googling on the internet.
Bacon avocado turkey burger
on spinach with Cumin-spiked
sweet potatoes
Flourless blueberry pancakes
with almond butter


My daily breakfast-
Kale smoothie
Spinach salad


Thanks to my obsessive logging on My Fitness Pal (800 days in a row and counting), I'm aware of my calorie intake and macros.  I'm even more aware that I have a killer sweet tooth and I frequently overindulge. When I took some progress photos in a bathing suit, I realized that after a year of pretty hard core working out (running on average 20 miles a week, plus yoga and strength training), I still have a lot of work to do!  I maintained my weight (after losing 30 pounds) during the year, but I saw very little change in my muscle tone.
This summer after a rough boot camp workout, I told the instructor, "After all that, I better have a six-pack by the time I turn 40!" His response stuck with me. "If you don't, your diet is to blame."
Boot Camp at the park- Summer 2013


That really stuck with me.  Nutrition has definitely been the missing link since I started to get in shape a couple years ago.  In fact, I believe my eating habits have gotten worse because I developed this sense of entitlement.  "Well, I just ran X amount of miles, I can eat whatever I want!" So, yes, I track the calories, but most often it has not looked good on paper!  Tons of sugar.  High fat content.  Lots of carbs, even though I went gluten free in September 2012.

Finally in November, I decided it was time to take control of my nutrition. With advice and support from two of my friends, I started November 10 with Whole 30.  For anyone considering it, my advice would be to be prepared!  Clear out "contraband" from the fridge and cabinets.  Prep for the whole week so that dinner is ready and you're not tempting to stop at Chipotle on your way home instead. (True story.)  Also, try to develop the mindset that you WILL succeed.  That you DON'T eat that sugar... grain... etc. right now.

I gave up smoking cold turkey about 5 years ago.  I liken the Whole 30 to that.  I just had to put my foot down and give myself some rules.  The first time around went well.  I got a little bored with the same old recipes that I got used to, but I switched it up and felt successful.  I didn't have any lapses, but I did cut it two days short because I wanted to drink wine at a party. I enjoyed it so much that I decided to stick with it and just add back in my gluten free grain favorites (rice and corn tortillas).  I had lost 5 pounds and started seeing a difference in my core.

Then came Christmas!

And I fell apart. Fudge, chocolate, candy canes.  You name it.  If it had sugar in it, I ate it!  For two weeks I went on a bender.  I even ate foods with gluten!  I lost all control!  Those five pounds I lost came right back and new pants that I bought to celebrate my clean eating successes were too tight on my belly.

Here are my stats from myfitnesspal.com for those overindulgent holiday weeks:
 


So, here I am, halfway through another Whole 30. I've never eaten a thing I don't like.  I am consuming fewer calories, but feeling much more satisfied. I cheated Friday night and had some wine, but otherwise I have been compliant.  It's a great feeling to feel like I'm back in control of my nutrition. For me, I think that is what it is ultimately about.  My pants are getting looser again, and I feel good.

Here's what the past two weeks have looked like:
 

According to Paleo for Dummies, when you're eating clean, your diet should be 20-35% protein, 25-40% carbs, and 30-45% fat.  So, I guess I'm doing something right! (I typically eat way more fruit and nuts than Whole 30 recommends, though.  I still haven't lost my sweet tooth, and probably never will.  However, I'm training myself to make better choices.)

The Whole 30 is teaching me some things about myself.  Like, if I give myself an inch, I'll take a mile.  It's all or nothing for me.  So as I evolve nutritionally, I will try to improve on the concept of moderation.

I am realistic.  I am going to eat chocolate again.  And again.  And again. But I can eat 3 pieces, not a whole bag, right? The funny thing is that I'm not counting down the days until I can have sugar again.  I'm doing just fine without it. Somehow I just have to learn to not go overboard when I do allow myself to eat less restrictively than I am right now.

I'll get back to you in two more weeks and let you know how the transition goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment