I loved everything about my run today... hearing the ice crunch under my feet, feeling the arctic winds slapping me in the face, relying on my cat-like reflexes to balance me on the trail's icy patches, giggling with my running friends as we navigated through and around snow drifts. I wanted to keep going and going! It had been way too long since I did a long run, so it didn't matter that we met before sunrise when it was 14 degrees with high winds or that ice and snow slowed us down. I was finally running a double digit distance!
That hadn't happened since October 27 when I ran a half marathon just two weeks after my first marathon. Not a wise decision on my part. In the months leading up to the marathon, I developed an injury (IT band syndrome and tendinitis in my hip.) that flared up again right before the race. The doctor gave me the go ahead to run again in late November as long as I took it slow and cut down on the distance. As stubborn as I can be, I listened to doctor's orders.
Even though I have been feeling some tenderness again in my hip, I decided it was time to try a double-digit distance. I missed that rush of adrenaline! After so much time of 3-5 mile runs, I needed to see if I still had a long run in me. Two of my running peeps, El and Cassie, joined me for the run on the local bike trail.
Here's our post-run picture, 11.2 miles later. The elements made it challenging, but I felt strong and energetic throughout the run. Some days you are just in the zone, and today felt like one of those days.
Um... until I got home and the predictable stiffness set in. Now, 12 hours later, I'm in quite a bit of pain.
I guess you have to take the good with the bad. I felt so uplifted from the fresh air and so accomplished for maintaining my endurance. However, now I'm struggling with the frustration at my stubbornness and impatience. Not to mention, I am worried that I'm going to need more rest time.
Whatever the outcome, I will accept it and handle it the best I can. As El told me earlier today, "Health first."
No comments:
Post a Comment