Thursday, January 23, 2014

The Better Late than Never 2013 Race Recap

I originally wrote this post on December 30, 2013 for my My Fitness Pal blog, but never posted it for some reason. 

I could write a book about this year in races!  I have so many memories from these different races-- Crossing the finish line at my first half marathon with my Running Peeps supporting me and screaming their heads off... Seeing my boyfriend (who I met at a different race, ironically named Get Lucky) unexpectedly on the side of a country road waiting to cheer me on and take my picture ... Finding out at 8:30 PM on Friday night that I was running a half marathon at 8:30 AM on Saturday morning... Arriving late for the start of a 5K where I hoped to PR because a semi overturned on the highway... Racing on the beach and sand dunes until my heart beat out of my chest like a cartoon character... Running around the lake in my hometown reminiscing about childhood... Learning the hard way that sangria and queso fundido is not a wise pre-race meal choice... Seeing friends and family and miles 23 and 26 of the Chicago Marathon.  

I'm sure every runner has these snippets of memories like I do, and can even conjure specific moments of races, of that inner dialogue and feeling we experience out there.  When I started reflecting on the year, the feelings below stuck out in my mind more than the physical or competitive aspect of racing.  


Written 12/30/13

Some running friends and I enjoyed a post-run glass of wine and began reminiscing about our first races this afternoon. My first 5K was in June 2012, and I was a nervous wreck. I had run my first 3.1 miles on January 1 of that year, and I regularly ran that distance on my neighborhood bike path. But a race? Are you kidding me? There was no way. The crowds. The focus on time.  I knew my anxiety triggers, and a race qualified as something that would put me completely on edge. Nevertheless, my friend talked me into doing a 5k with her, her husband, and some of their newly acquired running buddies. The rest, as they say, is history.
My first 5K June 21, 2012
I still get a little nervous before a race, but after completing 23 of them in 2013, I guess you could say I'm getting the hang of it. This year included many milestones for me, including my first half marathon in January and my first marathon in October. I took a speed work class and set a new PR for a 10K this year.


The best part about my racing year? I didn't know it at the time, but those women I met at my first 5K became my running buddies as well. The support and friendship of my "Running Peeps" has enriched my running experience. Without them, I'd still run, but I wouldn't love it nearly as much.


So, when I review my year in races, it includes not only the times and distances, the medals and placings, or the let downs and injuries. It also includes the sense of community and encouragement I'm fortunate to have in my life.

In my non-running life (if I can even separate the two anymore), there were some setbacks for me in 2013, but somehow the 1,000+ miles of running helped me find peace and perspective.


Now that the year is coming to a close and I've had time to put things in perspective, I see that I've matured as a runner, just like in other aspects of life. I've learned this year that I have more willpower and heart than I previously thought. I've realized that sometimes I'm my own worst enemy. I've learned that sometimes you have to be willing to deviate from the plan to accomplish your goals.

I'm going to take these lessons with me into 2014. In the new year, I aim for quality, not quantity.








No comments:

Post a Comment