Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Strengths and Weaknesses


Those of you who know me may have heard me complain about my hip and IT band issues a time or two... or ten.  

Last Tuesday, a local running store sponsored a workshop called "Fixing Common Running Dysfunctions". Since my own dysfunctions are numerous, I decided I may as well attend.  (Gotta start somewhere, right?!)

The presenter, whose company helps athletes improve performance, explained the origins of some common running injuries.  His talk convinced me to go to his company for a free assessment to see if they would be able to help me.
Photo from Extra Mile facebook page


 I think they can.  I may just be a complete sucker desperate to run pain-free again, but I didn't even hesitate to sign up after my evaluation.  Maybe it is one of those crazy feelings that only another runner can understand.  A few years ago, I would have thought someone in my shoes (pun intended) was a little nutty.  Now, though, I will try anything!

I wasn't sure what to expect at the initial consultation.  I knew they would assess my weaknesses to determine the cause for the injury, but how they would go about it was a mystery to me.

When I first walked in, I was a little uncomfortable.  I'm completely awkward in unfamiliar situations.  Once we got started, I felt more at ease.  After filling out a short questionnaire, we got started with the strength test.  The trainer walked me through seven different tests. He took some measurements as went along. As I completed each task, he rated my performance with a checklist.  I don't know what most of these reps are called, so I'll just describe them for you.  This is what I had to do (3 reps of each):

1. Overhead squats
2. Step over a hurdle (at a height just below the knee)
3. Lunges while standing on a stick and holding a bar vertically behind my back
4. Lie down on the floor with arms at sides and raise each leg as high as I could
5. Make a fist with both hands and try to touch hands with one arm over the shoulder and the other behind the waist
6. Reverse push-up
7. Kneel on floor with hands below shoulders, knees below hips. Balance while holding one arm and the opposite leg out horizontally; bring elbow and knee to center to touch.  Then, repeat on the same side of the body.

After the assessment, he showed me proper foam rolling techniques.  For one minute each, I foam rolled my calves, IT band, and glutes.

Finally, we went over my results. He explained each exercise and what my performance indicated.  I'm not terribly weak, but I wouldn't say that I passed with flying colors! Long story short- the tests indicated weak hips (duh!) and ankles.

I will be working with the personal trainer twice a week.  He sounds confident that I should improve in a couple months.  Basically, he will teach me some exercises to specifically address my weak spots.

I am excited to try something new.  Though I've been strength training on my own, I am really looking forward to some guidance.

I'll let you know how it goes... 

1 comment:

  1. That is great, hope this is the beginning of the end for the pain!

    ReplyDelete