Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Hub Run 5K Race Recap

What a great day!  I did this race last year, so there is a tendency to compare performance, of course.  For this reason, I purposely haven't looked back at my 2013 time.  What did Teddy Roosevelt say?  Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.  I know I'm at a different phase- not just with running, but with life in general.  

So I left last year in the past and started new.  I set a conservative, achievable goal: "I'll be happy with sub-30."  I achieved it.  And I was happy.  

This is the biggest 5K in Northwest Indiana as far as I know.  There were about 900 runners, 57 females in my age group.  The course started out way too crowded.  I always get on my race etiquette soap box at races like this.  There were way too many walkers who started near the front who walked about 5 wide and/or stayed on the left side.  Luckily the race was chip-timed, so at least I saved a few seconds at the beginning.  

It thinned out pretty quickly, though, and I was able to complete mile 1 in 9:17.  The best part of the course, in my opinion of course, was running past my cousin's house and seeing the him with his daughter in the front yard, along with a sign he made for me.  His wife and other daughter were also running.  It was my first race with family, so that made the day even better. 


Mentally, I was "in the zone" in mile 2, but also had to push aside the thought, "Hey, I'm kinda tired!"  When I heard the beep on my Garmin, I looked at my split time and was surprised to see that I ran that one in 8:26. Woo hoo!  Last year's pace! No pain!  I might just surprise myself this time.  Um, yeah, that was a fleeting thought.  I think that fast pace got into my head and I thought, "You're going too fast!  Slow it down!"  So I did.  My body felt fine, but my breathing was a little off, so I consciously slowed my pace.  I hate to admit it, but I was running out of steam. So, mile 3 was a 9:24 pace.  Still respectable.  No worries when I crossed the finish line feeling pleased with my 27:56 chip time.  

I say I don't care about the competition now, but who am I kidding?  I had to battle the crowd to check the age group results.  Surprisingly, I was 8th of 57.  

I enjoyed the rest of the afternoon with my family  And even hours later, after chowing down on tamales and cookies (oops!), I didn't have any IT band or hip issues!  Finally!  On the mend!  I promised to slow my roll, but I can't wait for my next race now!  



No comments:

Post a Comment